Recent news from the Greater Dayton Advertising Community.
VP, Marketing & Communications Opening
Vice President, Marketing and Communications, Business-to-Business
This individual is responsible for leadership and overall management of integrated industrial and technology business-to-business client accounts. This individual also drives long-term business building, the development of marketing and communications strategies, oversees account team management and has overall accountability for assigned client budgets and planning.
Responsibilities may include:
- Collaborates with a team to develop globally integrated marketing and communications campaigns for business-to-business clients
- Deeply engages in clients businesses, including but not limited to HVAC (heating, ventilating, air conditioning), data center and information technology
- Develops strategies and tactics for brand architecture, definition, engagement and guidelines, as well as digital and traditional advertising, direct marketing, customer events and trade shows, thought leadership content (print, video, digital), media relations and social media
- Moves projects from initiation to completion effectively and efficiently
- Understands the integrated relationship among advertising, branding, creative, digital, media planning and buying, public relations and research employees
- Seeks to develop and implement new programs for clients with little direction
- Employs new marketing and communications technologies and techniques, such as marketing automation
- Leads and builds meaningful client relationships based on value-added counsel, understanding of the client’s business, responsiveness, and high quality deliverables from the agency account team
- Manages internal team activity to ensure the appropriate resources are assigned, prepared and capable to deliver impactful programs and tactics within agreed upon timelines
- Establishes and grows relationships with client’s senior management team members
- Oversees and manages all financial aspects of client relationships including, but not limited to compliance to contracts/agreements, billing, write-offs, etc.
- Communicates client issues effectively to appropriate agency leaders
- Owns accountability to ensure team is achieving company performance metrics
- Participates in agency new business efforts; may be a member of the new business pitch team
- Provides leadership and coaching to account teams and direct reports (if applicable)
- Stays abreast of trends within business-to-business industries to deliver clients the best integrated marketing and communications results
Qualifications, experience and travel:
- At least 10 years of marketing and communications experience; preferably working in an agency setting
- Results-based marketing and communications experience working in one or more of the following areas: HVAC (heating, ventilating, air conditioning), data center, information technology, manufacturing/industrial, technology, and supply chain management and logistics
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of marketing and communications in the business-to-business landscape and the ability to understand clients’ businesses and their competitive environments
- Proven experience working in an account leadership role
- Proven client-facing experience with a demonstrated strategic approach in offering marketing and communications solutions to meet client’s needs
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to multi-task and balance priorities
- Excellent research, writing, presentation, management and conflict-resolution skills
- Ability to manage and motivate internal team to achieve a common goal
- BA/BS in marketing, public relations, communications, journalism or related fields
- Ability to travel – approximately 25% travel may be required (majority of travel is between agency and client location, as well as between agency locations)
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements for this position here: https://careers-fahlgrenmortine.icims.com/jobs/1164/vice-president%2c-marketing-and-communications%2c-business-to-business/job.
Please, no phone calls. Relocation assistance will not be provided.
Fahlgren Mortine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Stuffed Animal Collection
AAF-Dayton is joining forces with the Victoria Theatre Association and ABCF22/FOX45 to collect stuffed animals. We will be collecting them at our December 4th meeting. The animals collected will benefit the brave children who must spend the holidays at Dayton Children’s Hospital. What better way to show love and compassion to local children and their families than to take presents to them during their hospital stay.
All stuffed animal donations must be new with the tags attached, in accordance with Dayton Children’s Hospital donation policy.
If you are unable to make the meeting and wish to donate, contact Sara McCatherine at email@example.com or 937-248-4697. The animals will be delivered on December 11th, so we will need them before then, so we can get them where they need to be to meet that date.
Marketing Copywriter Opening
Do you say “oo!” out loud when you have a brilliant creative idea? Can you translate tech-speak into English in your sleep? Are you proofing this posting as you read it? Our growing software company needs a talented marketing copywriter to join our team. With your passion for words you will concept and write compelling messages to communicate with our customers and attract new business. This includes ad and direct marketing campaigns, e-newsletters, brochures and flyers, web and social media content, customer case studies, sales tools and more.
In this role, you will collaborate with marketing managers, sales, product management, and customer support teams to write understandable, actionable copy, and work closely with graphic designers and our digital marketing manager to bring your words to life.
- Ability to understand business goals and translate them into targeted marketing messages
- Strong understanding of marketing principles, resulting in actionable, engaging and audience-appropriate copy to drive brand awareness and generate leads
- Strong attention to detail and business copywriting standards with the ability to edit for grammar and style
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Superior communication, organization, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Specific experience writing B2B content, preferably in the automotive or technology industries
- 5+ years marketing copywriting experience in a corporate or agency environment (this is not a technical writing position); must be comfortable working effectively in a corporate environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, Marketing, or related discipline
- An exceptional portfolio of creative B2B writing that demonstrates content repurposing across mediums
Candidates must include a link or attach samples from a writing portfolio to be considered.
Autosoft, Inc. (www.autosoft-asi.com), a Dealership Management System (DMS) software company serving the retail automotive industry for more than 26 years. Autosoft provides an innovative product suite and world-class support for car dealerships across the U.S.
Autosoft, Inc. offers a competitive base salary, benefits package and opportunities for career development. If you want to work in a collaborative, creative work environment where you can provide meaningful contributions while being challenged to grow on the job, Autosoft, Inc. has a place for you!
E-mail resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
November Monthly Meeting
Reservations are now open for our November 6th Monthly Meeting:
Join us to hear Matthew Harsh, Senior Director of Emerging Channels for Bob Evans present, “Sunny Side Up: Restaurant Industry Trends, Opportunities, and the Effect on Bob Evans Strategy and Future Plans.”
Over the past 15 years, Matt has held leadership positions in the restaurant and retail industry, bringing marketing success to the likes of Bath & Body Works, LSY Advertising, and Bob Evans Restaurants where he serves as Sr. Director of Marketing. During his career he has had the opportunity to launch award winning fragrances (Japanese Cherry Blossom, Twilight Woods, Marshmallow Fireside), create new collections (True Blue Spa, Mix & Match Wall Flowers), and most recently Bob Evans Farm Fresh Refresh (New Look, Bakery Launch) to over 560 locations.
A graduate of Ohio State University in Marketing and Ohio Wesleyan in Psychology. Matt and his wife Christine are proud parents of five year old Audrey and 14 month Brady and they reside in Columbus, Ohio.
Visit http://aafdayton.com/event/november-monthly-meeting-2/ for details and to reserve.
Marketing & Communications Internship Opportunity
Marketing and Communications Intern
Fahlgren Mortine, one of the nation’s top independent marketing and communications agencies, is looking for a talented marketing and communications intern for our Dayton office. The internship will provide a college junior or senior with the opportunity to gain experience working in an integrated marketing and communications firm, as well as the chance to learn about the integration of paid, earned, owned and shared channels.
Students with marketing and communications experience are encouraged to apply for a 10-12 week program, which is expected to begin in January 2015.
Specific internship responsibilities may include:
Conducts new business and client/competitor research and analysis
Develops media lists, blogger lists, editorial calendars and media results reports
Participates in both internal team and client meetings
Writes news releases, website copy, fact sheets, collateral, social media content and other materials, and may support the development of integrated campaign materials including case studies, eBooks, etc.
Conducts social media, brand research and audits
Interacts with local, trade and national media, as well as bloggers, when appropriate
May assist with planning and onsite execution of client events, conferences, meetings and booths
Other duties, as assigned
Other opportunities for professional growth:
Exposure to a broad agency setting with communications, marketing, strategic planning, media, and creative and digital disciplines
Opportunity to tailor existing internship program to meet individual needs
Opportunity to develop proficiencies with leading-edge communications technology research tools, including Factiva.com, CisionPoint and Critical Mention
Opportunity to write creative and media briefs, and blog posts
One-on-one mentoring with designated individuals throughout the course of the internship
Ability to cultivate diverse skills through a well-rounded experience by working in a variety of industries, including consumer, non-profit, business-to-business, education, healthcare, retail, technology and tourism accounts
Exposure to a variety of marketing and communications focus areas, including media relations, internal communications, investor relations, industry analyst relations, public affairs, strategic research, branding, crisis communications, social media, media planning and buying, paid search, brand planning and more
Qualifications and experience:
Strong research, organizational and writing skills
A proven understanding of marketing and communications, social media and online and traditional media
Excellent communication skills
Proficiency using AP Style is preferred
Solid critical thinking skills
Ability to take initiative and assume responsibility
The ability to work independently and in team settings
Excellent attention to detail, including proofreading
A positive attitude, talent and drive
Strong Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
Prior internship experience in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, advertising, and/or business is also a plus
To apply for this internship, please submit a cover letter and resume here: https://careers-fahlgrenmortine.icims.com/jobs/1153/marketing-and-communications-intern/job.
Application materials must be received no later than Friday, November 7, 2014.
Please, no phone calls. Relocation assistance will not be provided.
Fahlgren Mortine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Upward Job Opening – Senior Brand & Interactive Designer
ANNOUNCING OUR 2014-2015 SCHEDULE!
Below is our schedule for the year, by date. The first few events (September) have more information than those that follow, since they’re the most immediate. Links to the meetings/events will be with them so you may reserve.
(FYI – meetings are in blue, networking/social events are pink, and special events are green.)
Following the schedule is a link to find out more about our exciting, new sponsorship opportunities!
- September 11, Monthly Meeting – Building a Strong Agency Culture, presented by Mark McKenzie & Aaron McBride of Brokaw
Mark & Aaron say, “In this presentation we’ll explore what it takes to create and sustain a great agency culture while insufferably bragging about being the AdAge Small Agency of the Year: Culture. And then we’ll probably just show an episode of the moderately popular 80s sitcom Night Court to fill time. Join us!”. This is a lunch meeting at Sinclair Conference Center, more info, speaker bios, and to reserve: http://aafdayton.com/event/september-monthly-meeting/
- September 17, Networking & Social – Meet the Board
Join us on the patio of El Meson to meet the board. We’ll also have info on the meetings and events for the year. Bring a friend – members and guests are welcome! Reservations aren’t required, but if you’ll let us know you’re coming, we’ll save you a seat. No cost to attend and you’re free to purchase the beverages/food you’d prefer. http://aafdayton.com/event/meet-the-board-networking-social/
- October 2, Monthly Meeting – Learn About Candy From a Stranger, presented by Evan Brock of Spangler Candy
Evan Brock is Director of Marketing at Spangler Candy, the makers of Dum Dums and Circus Peanuts, to name a few. This is a lunch meeting at Sinclair Conference Center, more info, speaker bios, and to reserve: http://aafdayton.com/event/october-monthly-meeting-2
- October 15, 20 Minutes & a Refreshment – The Art of Effective Networking
We’ll be gathering upstairs at Brixx Ice Company to find out the latest on effective networking. There’s no cost to attend and you’re free to purchase the beverages/food you’d prefer. Reservations are not necessary, but we’d appreciate knowing you’re coming so we have enough seats. http://aafdayton.com/event/20-minutes-a-refreshment/
- November 6 – Pinewood Derby hosted by saa, sponsored by Voss Auto Network
Back by popular demand is the Pinewood Derby. Little car racing at it’s finest! Car kits are available now so you can begin your masterpiece. Check out pictures from last year at https://www.flickr.com/photos/aafdayton/sets/72157637927525493/. Rules, kits and spectator admission may be found at http://aafdayton.com/event/pinewood-derby/
- November 13, Monthly Meeting – Sunny Side Up: Restaurant Industry Trends, Opportunities, and the Effects on Bob Evans Strategy and Future Plans, presented by Matthew Harsh of Bob Evans
Matthew Harsh, Senior Director of Emerging Channels at Bob Evans will fill us in Bob Evans marketing. This is a lunch meeting at Sinclair Conference Center, more info, speaker bios, and to reserve: http://aafdayton.com/event/november-monthly-meeting-2/
- December 6, Monthly Meeting – National American Advertising Awards Reel
Join us to see what won in the national American Advertising Awards competition this past year. Our Hermes is the first level of this 3-tiered competition. It’s always fun seeing great ads. This is a lunch meeting at Sinclair Conference Center, more info and to reserve: http://aafdayton.com/event/december-monthly-meeting/
- December 10, 20 Minutes & a Refreshment
Details to come.
- January 9, Hermes Call for Entries, Networking & Social
The Hermes is our creative advertising competition which is the first level of the 3 tiered AAF American Advertising Awards compeition. We’ll be gathering upstairs at Brixx Ice Company to collect entries and just hang out with everyone. Rules, categories, and the online entry site will be up in September. http://hermesawards.org/.
- February 5, Monthly Meeting – Joe Prus of Pandora
We’ll be locking in his presentation title very soon. This is a lunch meeting at Sinclair Conference Center. Reservations will open once we have the topic for you.
- February 14 – Hermes Awards Ceremony at the Dayton Marriott
The Hermes is the premier Dayton creative advertising awards event. Reservations will be open in mid-January at www.hermesawards.org.
- March 3 – SummitUp: a new media confab
SummitUp is our full day new/social/digital media conference held with New Media Dayton, PRSA, the Better Business Bureau of Dayton/Miami Valley and Women in Business Networking. Keynote and breakout speakers are being locked in and the schedule will be out in September at www.summitup.org. This will be a full day event at Sinclair Conference Center.
- March 3, Monthly Meeting – There Is No Fresh Broccoli: Why you know all you need to know to be a successful digital marketer, presented by Jason Falls of Cafe Press
This is the lunch portion of SummitUp, which is our monthly meeting. This is a lunch meeting at Sinclair Conference Center, more info, speaker bios, and to reserve: http://aafdayton.com/event/march-monthly-meeting-there-is-no-fresh-broccoli/
- March Networking & Social
Date and fetails to come
- April 9, Monthly Meeting – Kent Dean of Rosa’s Cafe
Back by popular demand is one of our most highly rated speakers. We’ll be announcing his presentation title very soon. This is a lunch meeting at Sinclair Conference Center. Reservations will open once we have the topic for you. This meeting is sponsored by the School of Advertising Art.
- April Networking & Social
Date and fetails to come
- May 19 – Mercury Awards Ceremony at Moraine Country Club
The Mercury Awards celebrates advertising professionals in the sales, support, media, and education professions. Mercury honorees are selected by AAF-Dayton members, who are sent the ballot as a benefit of membership (honorees need not be members). Ballots will be out in April, reservations will be open in May.May Networking & Social
Date and fetails to come
- June Networking & Social
Date and fetails to come
We have a number of opportunities that will allow your company to promote itself to the Dayton area advertising community, as well as receive numerous benefits. Check out our offerings here.
We have a number of opportunities that will allow your company to promote itself to the Dayton area advertising community, as well as receive numerous benefits. Check out our offerings here .aaf_sponsorshipsnewLR7 30
Meet the Board Networking & Social
Join us on the patio of El Meson to meet the board. We’ll also have info on the meetings and events for the year. Bring a friend – members and guests are welcome!
Reservations aren’t required, but if you’ll let us know you’re coming, we’ll save you a seat. http://aafdayton.com/event/meet-the-board-networking-social/
September Monthly Meeting – Building a Strong Agency Culture
Reservations are now open for our first meeting of the year on September 11th featuring Mark McKenzie and Aaron McBride of Brokaw. http://aafdayton.com/event/september-monthly-meeting/
Mark & Aaron say, “In this presentation we’ll explore what it takes to create and sustain a great agency culture while insufferably bragging about being the AdAge Small Agency of the Year: Culture. And then we’ll probably just show an episode of the moderately popular 80s sitcom Night Court to fill time. Join us!”
As a copywriter at Brokaw for the past 9+ years, Mark has created campaigns and won awards for clients of every shape and size, in a variety of categories. Begin list of impressive brands: vitaminwater, hotels.com, Great Lakes Brewing Company, White Castle, the Cleveland Indians, etc. He’s also one fourth of the award-winning sketch comedy group Last Call Cleveland. Mark has a Masters in Advertising from Ohio University, which, when combined with his glasses, he uses to appear smarter than he is and say words like, “thusly.” What a windbag.
Since his Brokaw debut in early 2012, Aaron has created successful campaigns for a wide range of clients worth namedropping – including the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, Great Lakes Brewing Company, and IHOP. He also wrote articles for the Random House published book Look At My Striped Shirt and is a founding member of the award-winning sketch comedy group Last Call Cleveland. Aaron has a BA in video production from Kent State University, which officially makes him a triple threat like J-Lo. Or North Korea.